Saturday, December 4, 2010

he's just a city boy...born and raised in south detroit (michigan!) (by way of montreal!)

Yes, there is only so much Journey one can take.

I really liked "Don't Stop Believin," before I became an usher, but it was confirmed last night at the bar when the band opened with "Don't Stop Belivin' " that I could do without that hearing that song when I'm not working...My coworkers and I melted when they opened with that song. Gah. Last night I went to the Bier Markt, which is a nice bar with a ton of, yes, beer. So obviously it was great. As always I drank too much and stayed up too late, but it was quite worth it to be out on the town with some great people.

Oh but I had a rare, positive moment today at work when I did not hate children. During intermission on first balcony, these little girls came up to me reluctantly saying "you ask her, no youu, I don't want to! etc" So I leaned down (also reluctantly) to say "can I help you guys?" They asked very politely if they could pick up the colorful flyers that the character Regina throws into the audience during "We're Not Gonna Take It." I gave them directions and they scurried off to the orchestra section below. They returned smiling, and stopped to say thank you and to offer me some of the flyers they brought back. It was actually cute.

Also I had a very disturbing conversation with one of my coworkers today about food. She is from Ireland and mentioned she was having a hard time adjusting to Canadian food. She didn't understand why bread lasted so long and tasted like it was so full of sugar and chemicals (I immediately thought about the bread in my fridge that eat over about two weeks...oo). The cheese, milk, everything seemed to be loaded with preservatives she said. In Ireland apparently bread and milk go bad very quickly and everything is locally grown and fresh. Why is it so expensive, she asked, to get natural, healthy food here? In Ireland natural is the standard. She has lived in the US and commented that it was much worse, (as I imagine). Anywho, it disturbed me to hear her perspective. I have a general knowledge that I should stick to whole wheat flours that aren't sweetened with high fructose corn syrup, or to buy the peanut butter without hydrogenated oil, but I wouldn't guess that someone could taste the chemicals or that, yeah, bread probably shouldn't last two weeks...it freaks me out on a small scale but also on a larger scale, what else is in our food that we don't know about or choose to ignore? Ugh, I really need to cook more. And maybe start a garden. Oh and a couple of my own cows could be useful...

Hmm, anyway, I'm on cloud nine with Toronto this week. I really love this city. There is so much to do, so clean, I'm feeling very in my element here. Plus, I never have to endanger those around me by driving...hahahaha. It has been a good week here and I'm not sure I want to leave...(If anyone wants to sponsor me to stay here or marry me that would be just fabulous - ps gay marriage is legal...) It's just missing everyone I love back home :(  Of course, in February I will probably be ready to tear my eyes out from the cold...oh but I hate it when creepers hit on you on the subway: today I was completely zoned out with my headphones in until I felt a tap on my leg. A nice older, balding guy apparently wanted my attention to ask, "Are you from Regina?" (Regina is a town in Saskatchewan...) followed by "Are you single?" In a very creepy voice. The nerve. Though it was pretty silly.

With that, I leave you with more...pictures! (sorry most of them are blurry, but there's only so much one can do with a cell phone in the dark...)

New City Hall decked out for the holidays

Oh heeey Christmas - where did you come from??

ice rink in Nathan Phillips Square.
I was supposed to be skating at the time but we were rained out :(

Yes, a poutine-er-ry! All different kinds of Poutine. Too Canadian for words.
Quite good though.
Ice rink with Old City Hall behind.

More lights and clock tower from Old City Hall behind.



Late,

me

1 comment:

  1. Interesting comments on our food! I am so glad I have learned to make my own bread. It's so ggod it never lasts long enough to get moldy!

    ReplyDelete