Monday, November 8, 2010

Oh, Canada



Things Every Torontonian Will Say to You When You Say You're from South Carolina:

#4: Have you been to Myrtle Beach?!

#3: "So do you like Bush? Let me rant about how he ruined everything…"
(I know we only met 30 seconds ago but let's get to the point)

#2: "It's warmer down there, eh? You're in for a shock come winter…"
(So I've heard…and heard…)

and by far #1: "but you don't have an accent!"
(Sorry, my bad, I'm actually from New York…Actually I had no idea the Southern Accent was so renowned. Thank you, Gone With the Wind)

and…for your enjoyment:

Things Canadians Really Do Say:

- Eh
- Pop
- Cheers
- Aboot (okay maybe not that extreme but close)
- Bush ruined everything and Obama is God

Okay and maybe that last one was an exaggeration. But really, I was here when everything happened and I understand how the world feels about Bush and Americans, and generally I agree, so if I do agree do we really have to keep talking about it, over and over and over...

By the way, Toronto just elected it's new mayor, Mr. Rob Ford. I'm not really sure how this happened, as he is the male equivalent to Sarah Palin, so basically really intelligent guy and rather conservative. His platform includes something about a gravy train that keeps coming up without substance and that people who ride bikes deserve to be run over because they put themselves in danger. He also heartily believes in coaching football above all, including pre-scheduled interviews with important news organizations...cool.

Also, I know saying "pop" isn't exclusively Canadian, but I have not heard the word "soda" since I've been here. Do people in the midwest, let's say, use pop and soda or just pop? While I should probably devote my mental energy to other things, it is one of those words that annoys me and I can't really say why, except it sounds like something from Leave it to Beaver. "Golly Beave, let's go have a pop at the soda shop!"

In other news I had someone tell me recently I didn't look Canadian because I have the body of a gymnast? Do I practice gymnastics still? he asked. I find this hilarious for two reasons - one, I didn't think there was a Canadian "look" and two I believe my body is far far from what a gymnast's would be…haha. Silly silly.

cheers!

- el

6 comments:

  1. yay! i am so glad you made a blog.. it's ABOOT time! twas really great to read about your adventures and we should talk soon. get on skype or send me your canadian cell phone # :) -dq

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and PS.. your blog layout is gorgeous and infinitely superior to mine. can i send you my password to spruce it up a bit in payments of Waffle House meals per hour?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the blog and especially the pictures.
    You are such a cute tinkerbell. You will have to do that costume again! I miss skypeing with you at night. You are right though the theater has way more charm and character than RH.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WINS, ELLEN! You crack me up. Seriously, I'm tearing up over the gymnast thing. MC is asking me what's so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANK YOUUU. i miss everyone like crazy and your comments have made my day!! Also Sarah i would gladly redesign your blog in exchange for some late-night catch up over chocolate chip waffles and coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wait - how did Toronto elect such a guy??

    ReplyDelete