Friday, November 12, 2010

Say You Don't Me...or Recognize My Face...

The title has little to do with anything, except I just got home from work and that is the 80s song that is stuck in my head at the moment...gaaah.

Anyway, happy Remembrance Day! Like some other countries, many Canadians wear poppies on their left side to commemorate the veterans. A few weeks before today you can find veterans on the street and in the subway station selling felt poppies. Because I didn't bother to take my own photo from the thousands I encountered this month, here is a nice photographic example I stole from Google Images instead:



In other news, today I had a coworker ask me (seriously, I believe) if races were still segregated in the South. More specifically, he wanted to know if places had bathrooms for blacks and whites and if someone could be turned away from a business if he/she was black. My response: "um, no." His response: "yeah but someone told me black people could get turned away from like, a general store in a really rural area" Well, this could be true in some places but I can't comment for sure because I've never witnessed it. However, I have never actually been inside the Dixie Outpost ("The South's largest confederate store").

Anyone from SC care to elaborate or stories to share? I have a limited perspective on the subject of racist rural general stores myself...

late,

me

No comments:

Post a Comment